6.27.2006

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em

Yesterday was an interesting day. I went to the Sox game, a make-up from Sunday's rained out game. On Sunday I will admit I was a little bummed, since it didn't actually rain much after 2 or 3, and it was a 2:00 game. A delay would have probably made more sense. At any rate, Monday ended up being gorgeous, so now I'm okay with the decision. Plus it was the first weekday where I didn't have to go to work, so this was a nice way to celebrate that.

It ended up being a great game. It was a little boring at first, with nothing on the board until the bottom of the sixth, but that's where it really took off. I won't give you the play-by-play. If you're that interested, you've probably heard/seen it already. But it ended in the twelfth inning at 8-7 Sox. Really fun and exciting game. Way to go boys! So the "know when to hold 'em" part of this post is about knowing when to stick it out until the end rather than getting frustrated and leaving early, like many fans did. And like I considered doing. I'm really glad I stayed.

Then there's the "know when to fold 'em" part. I had a first date. 'Nuff said? Maybe not. It wasn't horrible, but the conversation was a little stiff and hard to maintain. I was really looking forward to meeting this guy, so it was a little disappointing. Ah, well, you never know unless you give it a shot. At one point we were talking about the Al Gore movie, "An Inconvenient Truth." He said he doesn't really believe that global warming is happening or that it's a problem. Seriously? I'm thinking there will be no second date.

Want to hear about some knitting stuff?

I keep meaning to show off this fun bag I got from my secret pal. Isn't it the cutest?



Check out what's hiding inside of it:




It's not your imagination, the Tropicana socks have changed colors! I finally gave up on trying to make them using my Lorna's Laces watercolors yarn. Instead, it's "Girls Night Out" from Sunshine Yarns that I showed you in the last post. It definately works better in this yarn since now the socks aren't too big AND there's no weird pooling going on. I'm not totally in love with them, but I think I'm just tired of the pink already. What do you think?

And look what else I made! It's not from the Mason-Dixon book, but it was kind of inspired by it in terms of the yarn choice. I was thinking about using this as my sock pal bag, or a gift for my secret pal, but I'm not sure yet. I may need to keep it for myself. I think most likely though, it will go to my secret pal, filled with some handy knitting goodies.



Specs:
Pattern: "GIve It a Whirl Bag" by Amy Polcyn, from Creative Knitting July 2006
Needles: US 7 dpns
Yarn: Sugar 'n Cream in color 19181, variegated blues
Pattern Notes: The pattern is really easy to follow and was a wicked fast knit. I only used dpns because my circular needles in size 7 were too long. The bag is knit from the top down. At the bottom, the decreases are done with a row of knit stitches between decrease rows. After about half of the decrease rows, I eliminated the knitted row in between. It just seemed like I'd end up with a bottom that didn't sit very flat, but I didn't try it so I couldn't swear to that.

Working with bigger needles was a nice break. I think I'll continue that break by starting on a Cleo Clutch. Size 10s here we come! Yay!



Previous title: The Verve Pipe, "Colorful"

2 comments:

Joanne M said...

I was all like 'oh, well, he could seem better after getting to know him a bit more on a second date' until I read the part about the global warming. Was he trying to be provocative or is he just a dumb-ass? Holy crap. Knitting progress looks awesome and the Red Sox news sounds great - going to a game is so fun - glad they pulled it out for you in the end (wasn't that the 12 inning game?).

Amy said...

You're right, the bottom doesn't turn out totally flat as written (but looks cute when you're holding it, kind of rounded). Nice job!