6.19.2006

Sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me, sock it to me!

You knew it was coming one day, right? Sorry, lacking creativity today on account of the fact that summer has finally arrived in Boston. Not just summer, actually, but heat that we don't usually see even on the hottest days of August. It's ok though, I think the worst of it is over. There's nothing like it being 95 degrees outside and needing to take the kids out there to cool off. Yeah, I repeat: third floor classroom on the sunny side of the building.

Now back to the point of today's post. My questionnaire for the Knit Sock Kit Swap.

What are your favorite colors? I generally like darker colors, like deep reds and purples. However, I'm really not that picky. I prefer to stay away from pastels, primaries, and really bright stuff. Okay, maybe that is kinda picky.

Are you a new sock knitter? How long have you been knitting socks? I've been knitting socks for at least a year I think. I'm definately not new. The only problems I run into these days are things like size issues.

Do you prefer solid or multicolored yarn? I like both, but I'm not a fan of the kind that does some self-striping with checker boards, like Regia.

What fibers do you prefer in sock yarn? Generally I go for wool, something superwash.

Where do you usually knit socks? On my coach in front of the tv, but also on airplanes and at Starbucks.

How do you usually carry/store small projects? In ziploc bags, or in bigger knitting bags (like a French Market bag).

What are your favorite sock knitting patterns? I really liked pomatomus, and anything like that. I enjoy patterns that have a little challenge to them - something to keep me interested.

What are your favorite sock knitting techniques? Nothing in particular comes to mind.

What new techniques would you like to try? Knitting two socks on two circulars.

Do you prefer circulars or dpns for sock knitting? I've been using dpns, but I want to start learning how to use circulars for socks.

What are some of your favorite yarns? Lorna's Laces and Koigu are the ones I use most of the time. I'd really like to try Socks that Rock, but haven't yet.

What yarn do you totally covet? Socks that Rock? Koigu?

Any pattern you would love to make if money and time were no object? Again, nothing comes to mind. Sorry! Well, actually, maybe some version of the Butterfly jacket from Noro, but I'm thinking this question is about socks.

Favorite kind of needles (brand, materials, straights or circs, etc)? Generally I use anything bamboo. I like circs, straights, and dpns - so basically, all styles. I haven't tried those new sock circulars that stretch out as you go along. Sounds like an interesting concept.

If you were a specific kind of yarn, which brand and kind of yarn would you be? Good question! Probably Socks that Rock, but maybe something from Artyarns. Oh, wait, Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino!

Do you have a favorite candy or mail-able snack? Chocolate is good. Milk chocolate especially. M&Ms, 3 Musketeers, etc.

What’s your favorite animal? I love cats. And monkeys of course.

Do you have pets? What are their species/names/ages? I have no pets.

If you were a color what color would you be? Purple. Don't know why, just seemed like the right answer.

Describe your favorite shirt (yours or someone else’s): It's a swirly kind of pattern in different shades of brown. It has a v-neck. Right at the v the fabric is gathered and there is a beaded patch that is mostly golds and greens, but in a completely not tacky kind of way. There is also some subtle beading up the side seams.

What is your most inspiring image, flower, or object in nature? Maybe an orchid? Not so sure.

Tell me the best quote you’ve ever heard or read. There are so many words of wisdom! How can I possibly be expected to decide? I guess it's, "Don't dream it, be it." It's from Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Do you have a wishlist? No, but keep checking back because I've been thinking about getting one. Top of my list would be "Knitting on the Road."

Anything else you’d like to share with the group today? I don't think so. Can you tell I'm a little indecisive?

---

In other news, I've just discovered this. What a great way to use up the stash! I'm totally in. Any other takers?

Also, I got another giftee that I'm assuming is from my secret pal. Pictures coming soon!



Yesterday's title: Joan Jett, "I Hate Myself For Loving You"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so glad you answered the questions. It gives me a little something to go on. ;)

I tried to e-mail you, but there was a typo in your e-mail addy - think we finally got it straightened out, though, so you should hear from me by e-mail later this evening. :)

Midnight Purls said...

I haven't been knitting socks that long, probably a little less than a year, but I seem to have issues with sizing as well. They're either way too big or way too small.

Have you seen The Elfine Socks? The pattern seems simple enough where I won't want to throw the needles down in disgust but just complicated enough to keep it interesting.

http://autoscopia.com/amelia/assets/elfinesocks.pdf

Anonymous said...

Hello There,
I was told you needed an angel. I can't seem to get you via email. Would you please email me at anothersecret@gmail.com?
Thanks!!!